- Abseil cave-
Esta cavidá, averada a la nomada Cueva'l Tinganón, aporta a agua a les instalaciones agrícoles del valle. Tres d'una pindia xubida, accédese a la boca d'ella, esguilando per un remexón d'unos 10 m. d'altor. Nel averamientu a la cueva, ye prudente tener precuru tres de los pedreros, pola mor de lo pindio'l tarrén.
Una y bones dientro la cueva, atopámonos con un calce activu con abondes formaciones. Cerca la entrada, vemos dalgunes canalizaciones con interesantes restos de tubos cerámicos, que siguen fasta'l banzáu que xube y estabiliza'l nivel de les agües. Esta presa ye la que fai que mos atopemos formaciones estalagmítiques nos primeros metros del sifón. Quiciabes se ficiera alredor los años veinte, yá que nuna colada tan puestos con llapiceru los nomes de los paisanos que seique lo construyeran, asina como delles dates: 1916, 1921 y 1922.
Pola nuesa parte, allugamos la cueva nel añu 1998, pero nun foi fasta l'añu siguiente que los nuesos amigos portugueses del NEC topografiaren la cueva (ver topo). Más sero, supimos gracies a un e-mail de Martin Laberty que la cavidá fuera visitada polos equipos ingleses del OUCC en 1972 y 1973.
Los nuesos trabayos na cueva nun entamaron dafecho fasta l'añu 2003, nel que ficimos dalgunes inmersiones nel sifón, atopándonos con una resquiebra vertical de dellos metros, pela que somos quiénes a progresar paralelo al tubu de captación d'agües -ye ablucante la bayura metros qu'esti tubu ta metíu dientro'l sifón-, fasta algamar los -16 m. de fondura, au aportamos a una salina. Tres de dos díes merguyando pa llegar equí, la esploración ta pendiente siguir con botelles de más de 4 llitros, que fueron les qu'usamos. L'agua ye perllimpio y frío a la entrada, pero véyase muncho bien fácil.
The cave is entered via a 12m pitch into the gorge leading from its entrance, a rock outcrop providing a good belay, the ladder hanging free, except at the top,& providing a good climb. The entrance passage is large, high, straight and provides a refuge for bats, as was observed during the surveying trip. The cave has been used in the past for water supply, a metre high dam having been constructed with a, now broken drainpipe leading from it to the entrance. This pipe sometimes carries all the caves water, but the water level fluctuates considerably behind the dam so that, on our first visit, there was a distinct stream flowing down the lower, smaller of the two parallel passages leading from the dam to the large entrance passage, where a large pool had formed, while, on a later visit, there was no pool and the water was scarcely up to the level of the drainpipe at the base of the dam ( much to the delight of the person who had been detailed to go and lower the level of the water behind the dam) This latter measure had been decided upon because the water impounded emerges from a sump which we at first hoped may only have been due to the artificial raising of the water level by the dam, because stalactites were observed to be hanging down into it. The later visit proved the theory to be valid, but only another 16m of deep stream passage were discovered before a very definite sump once again barred our progress. An odd feature of this deep water passage is that the floor drops 1m vertically to impound the water.
The way on is along a higher level passage which starts where the depth of water behind the dam suddenly increases due to the sudden drop in floor level. This passage is well decorated and generally in the nature of a rift passage, the floor being covered by flowstone and old gours. The route starts of f completely dry but the number and size of pools increases towards the end, the level in pools at the end being the same as that at which calcite deposits have formed around the pools walls while the level is markedly below this at intermediate points in the passage. The passage ends with several deep pools and a couple of short climbs. Vigorous efforts at extending the cave by following the main line of the passage and by traversing in the roof of the rift met with no success.
Spaniards, presumably the builders of the dam, have explored the cave to within at least 50m of the end, as is evidenced by their inscriptions on flowstone at two points in the passage above the dam. The nearer of these records visits in 1916 and 1920 whilst the further, just before a chest deep pool, the exit from which is not obvious without getting wet, marks a visit in July 1922. These later explorers appear to have had to break through a calcite barrier in order to continue and similar signs of enthusiasm are to be seen above the dam, where a rather inadequate set of steps has been cut up a wall to reach a small extension. It is a great pity that we could find no references to these explorations, the use of the water, the need for a dam quite a long way inside the cave, or even the Spanish name for the cave.
new entrances were found along the coastal ridge towards Nueva 1975 and
a resurgence - short and blocked - was found at Santianes to the south
of Llovio. This village has a good path leading up to a hamlet above Cueva
Tinganón top entrance (Cueva Negra in Cox et al 1972) and this
is the recommended route to Cueva Negra (Cueva Lledales in Cox et al 1972)
and any caves further east since the walk is easy and avoids undergrowth.
There is little doubt that much cave is concealed in this area where water
is concentrated on a sandstone ridge which drains into poljes at the junction
with the adjacent limestone ridge and it is to be hoped that a new cave
will be found which does not end so frustratingly as Cueva Negra.